Thursday, 17 November 2011

The Best of British Telly (according to me)

Here are a few shows that we (but mostly I) have enjoyed since we have been here in England. If you get a chance to watch (try Netflix), I highly recommend them:

FOYLE'S WAR
This is a period drama that takes place during World War II. Detective Chief Superintendent (DCS) Foyle is busy solving crime in the Town of Hastings while the war rages on. It gives amazing insight into life during the war in Europe, including the role of the American troops, the existence of Nazi sympathizers, the existence of the black market, and more. And you will love the main characters. DCS Foyle is hard not to love.
http://www.foyleswar.com/

COME DINE WITH ME
This is reality television at its best (and has kept me-- not necessarily Adam) entertained for hours. The show is shot in a different city/town in the UK as it engages four to five strangers in a cooking competition. All of the participants host a dinner party at their house throughout one week and are rated by the other participants. The host with the highest score wins 1,000 GBP. It's so entertaining.
http://www.channel4.com/programmes/come-dine-with-me (Unfortunately, I don't think online viewing will work in the States, but you can at least check it out).

DOWNTON ABBEY
This is another period drama that takes place at the end of World War I. It exposes what life was life for a wealthy British family who live in Downton Abbey, an estate complete with many acres of land and lots of servants, during the Great War. The interplay between the master/servant worlds is great to watch, especially seeing how they change due to the war. I highly recommend.
http://www.itv.com/downtonabbey/ (Again, it is unlikely online viewing will work in the States, but it will at least give you an idea. A friend just finished watching Season 1 via Netflix. Season 2 just finished here.)

No comments:

Post a Comment