Saturday, 15 September 2012

D-Day

Perhaps the main reason we ventured into Normandy was to see the Beaches of Normandy and to experience the D-Day memorials/sites. I want to say something poetic about experiencing such beauty in places where such horrific things happened, but it's hard to say something like that without feeling as if I'm dishonouring the thousands of young men who gave their lives, in such a selfless way, to protect democracy and freedom. I suppose I'll just let the pictures speak for themselves.

MARIE ST. EGLISE
The town where many of the 82nd American Airborne Division landed, miles away from the beaches.

One parachutist, John Steele, ended up hanging from the steeple of the church. Today a statue is permanently fixed on the steeple as a reminder.



UTAH BEACH






OMAHA BEACH 


Sculpture called "Les Braves"

6 months pregnant 


PONT DU HOC




 AMERICAN CEMETERY





PEGASUS
The Pegasus Bridge Cafe that honors all Allied Forces who fought to liberate France.

The original Pegasus Bridge.



The current Bridge.






No comments:

Post a Comment