Thursday, 28 July 2011

London: Day 1.5

Adam did a tough and necessary thing: he took his Urology Boards at the end of July. In London. Which meant he got to decompress in (and we both got to enjoy) LONDON, a city that is hard not to love. And it’s true, we love London.

We got into London the day before Adam's exam and spent the night walking the neighborhood where we were staying (Marylebone), wandering into Regent’s Park and Queen Mary’s gardens which were idyllic. We had lunch in the park cafe which reminded me a lot of the Boat House in Central Park. Sorry we don't have any pictures of this, but maybe we will be able to add some in the future.

THE BRITISH MUSEUM
The day Adam took his test, I walked Oxford Street in nearly its entirety, I think. I saw (and wandering into) many great shops, and eventually ended up at the British Museum. It is a huge and beautiful place, and like most great museums, it cannot be seen all in one day.
Lobby of the British Museum

I had an amazing moment while at the British Museum: I saw the pieces of the Parthenon I have wanted to see for the past ten years. For those of you who have visited the Parthenon in Athens, you will be able to relate.  See, many of the pieces of the Parthenon (the friezes, the cariatids and the pediments) are no longer at the site, but in museums, particularly the British Museum in London; a huge disappointment when in Athens. But a thrill when in London. It was great to see the remaining pieces. They are beatufiul. And it was great.
Parthenon's East Pediment depicting the rise of the Sun God on the left and Dionysus, the god of wine reclining in the middle. 

Cariatid (and supporting pillar) from the Erechtheion

The rear veiw of Cariatid
Beyond the Parthenon exhibit, I spent most of my time checking out thefamous Rosetta Stone, the Stone that allowed hierogliphics to be deciphered,

The Rosetta Stone (behind a very reflective glass...)
the Egyptian exhibits,
                                                       



the Roman exhibit,




and the medieval room. The medieval artifacts brought to life Ken Follett’s Pillars of the Earth which was so much fun for me (If you have not yet read it, and are looking for a great read, may I recomend it).


Clips that held the Prior's Robes

JW STAKEHOUSE & THE BEST CHEESECAKE WE'VE EVAH HAD
We had to celebrate the fact that Adam finished his boards. So, what did we do? We went out for a delcious dinner of coure! We ended up at JW Stakehouse across from Hyde Park- it was fabulous! We had a great table outdoors where we sampled some Veuve Clicquot (of course), had oysters, enjoyed fantastic entrees, and ended the evening with the best cheesecake we have ever had. I’m not kidding. It was amazing. Adam also finished the night with a cuban cigar and a glass of bourbon. What could be better?







1 comment:

  1. What a perfect ending to taking the boards! Love reading all about your life over there. It seems like you are having a wonderful time so far!

    ReplyDelete